Field Trips & Special Events
SPAS field trips and programs are free and open to the public. Everyone is welcome. Advance registration is not required. A limited number of loaner binoculars are available - if you'd like to use SPAS equipment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org several days in advance of the trip.
In the Field: Where & When
The 2018-19 Field Trip Season has ended. Check back later this summer for the 2019-20 schedule.
Monthly Boyd Hill walks (see below) continue throughout the summer.
Join us September through April for guided bird walks at some of the hottest birding spots in West Central Florida! Dave Goodwin will be leading us on expeditions that include sites in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee and Polk counties. For park details, meet-up locations, updates, and recent eBird sightings, click the map marker or the destination on the map below. Download and print our 2018-19 Season Schedule.
- All field trips begin at 8 am and last about three hours. Please plan to arrive by 7:45 am.
- SPAS trips are free to attend.
- There is a $5 per car entrance fee to Fort De Soto Park.
- There is a $2 per car entrance fee to Lettuce Lake Park
- All locations have trails comprised of grass, shell, hardpack and boardwalk. Check the park website for accessibility details.
- All parks have at least one flush restroom, picnic facilities and water fountains.
- No trip in December - we encourage you to sign up for the Christmas Bird Count. For info on how to participate, contact Don Margeson at email@example.com .
- Click the red Map Marker below for links to destination eBird sightings , park map (where available) ,and park website
In the Field: Monthly @ Boyd Hill
SPAS invites you to join us for a guided bird walk on the first Saturday of each month at Boyd Hill Nature Preserve.
This is a great walk for beginners - fun and accessible birds, well-marked trails, and a raptor aviary - and one that frequently provides a surprise or two for more experienced birders.
Regular participants are encouraged to bring along a friend who might not otherwise get out or go birding.
Where: 1101 Country Club Way S, St. Petersburg. Meet in front of the Nature Center.
When: 7:45 a.m. Walks usually last about two hours, depending upon the birds.
Cost: Free (park entrance fee waived)
Bring : Binoculars (some loaner binoculars are available at front desk), hat, water, mosquito repellent
Experience: Novice to expert - all welcome
Walking: Trails shell, grass, hard packed, distance 1-2 miles
Restrooms: One (flush) located at the Nature Center